Lawful Permanent Residency

Process in getting my girlfriend back from mexico

So my girlfriend was here with visa, she over stayed and just recently went back to renew it but got denied. So I want to help and bring her back and marry her. There are two problems that raise my concern: one she worked during her stay and filled taxes with her ITN # but not after her visa was expired. 2nd is before she went back she got a ticket which is still pending for a infraction and misdemeanor of not having Driver license.

Is this enough to keep a green card?

I would be most grateful if you could possibly answer the following questions regarding US permanent residence. Thank you

Traveled to Spain 8/20 after I resigned from my job at the University of California San Francisco. I'm now in Spain to convalesce, will return to US (to my sister's home - who is a US citizen) in 5 months for a week or 2, then return to Spain, is this enough to keep my Green Card? Is there a minimum time that has to be spent in US after having been abroad for 5 months?

LPR Moving to Europe


spouse RIGHTS


Petition for mother's residency

i will be turning 21 in november 2011. i would like to petition for my mother's residence. she is from mexico and has been living in the US illegaly for over 21 years. i was planning on getting married this year to my boyfriend in the navy. i was wondering if i can still get married so i can petition for my mom. and if being married or not will delay the process. Do i have any other options?

Need advice

So here is my situation,
I am a Canadian citizen studying in the United States currently. I will graduate in 2012 with a degree in business management. I also have a girlfriend in the US. Theoretically, say I plan on marrying my girlfriend, what steps do I need to take to be able to work in the US? Is this a process that I should start now? And should I simply apply for a work visa or permanent residency? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Changing the conditional green card to a permanent one.

I have a conditional green card issued in
July 8, 2010
Based on marriage to a U.S citizen, which will be expired in
July 8 2012.
After I took it, I left U.S in
July 21, 2010

We came back to our country because I still have to finish my contract and my wife has to finish college. Now I finished my contract and I'm welling to come back to Seattle in U.S in
Jan 20 2011
But my wife will not finish college until July 2012. That means I’m going to leave her and I will go live in the US for at least one and a half year alone.

I obtained my green card through my U.S. Citizen spouse and we are now getting divorce what can I do?

If you obtained your lawful permanent residency through marriage to a U.S. citizen and you are now going to be divorced there may be serious consequences.

Foreign nationals who obtain lawful permanent residency through marriage to a U.S. citizen are initially granted conditional lawful permanent residency for a period of 2 years. Ninety days prior to the expiration of this 2 year period the conditional lawful permanent resident and his or her U.S. Citizen spouse are required to file a joint petition to remove the conditions on the residency.

Immigration Law and Drunk Driving Related Crimes

Driving Under the Influence of alcohol or other intoxicating substances is considered a serious offense in the United States. State laws govern the alcohol and drug related driving offenses so the precise nature of the offenses and penalties vary from state to state; however, all states deal with such offenders harshly including loss of driving privileges, hefty fines, and jail sentences.

The Consequences of Immigration Fraud

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement has recently ramped up its efforts in investigating and arresting those who are involved in immigration marriage fraud. Recent reports from New York, Ohio, Arizona and other states across the country tell the story of immigrants, attorneys, and U.S. citizens being arrested for engaging in marriage fraud schemes.

Syndicate content

NewsLetter Sign-up

Subscribe to our immigration law newsletter today and receive important updates about U.S. immigration law and information about great new resources we offer.