Options for my Boyfriend

I started dating my boyfriend about seven months ago. He graduated with a master's degree in Marketing and we received word that his OPT will expire in September. It's been 12 months and first, I don't understand why it's not 29 months. I found this:

"A modification to the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program was announced in April 2008, extending the period of the program from 12 to 29 months for qualified international students in the US under an F-1 visa. The OPT program allows F-1 visa students to work in the US in occupations related to their field of study."

He's already applied for the green card lottery, but aside from that, we wanted to know if we have any options besides marriage? I love him and I could see myself marrying him, but I'm a traditional American girl and wanted time to be engaged and plan a wedding. I've done some research and found the K-1 Visa information, but I don't know if that applies because he's currently living in the U.S.

He said that when he is illegal that we can still just date and get married later, but I'm afraid it will be more complicated than he thinks. We can't afford a lawyer and I just don't know what to do! I greatly appreciate any feedback!


Other Immigration Resources

NewsLetter Sign-up

Subscribe to our immigration law newsletter today and receive important updates about U.S. immigration law and information about great new resources we offer.