Need advice

So here is my situation,
I am a Canadian citizen studying in the United States currently. I will graduate in 2012 with a degree in business management. I also have a girlfriend in the US. Theoretically, say I plan on marrying my girlfriend, what steps do I need to take to be able to work in the US? Is this a process that I should start now? And should I simply apply for a work visa or permanent residency? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks



Phil's picture

Sorry for the delayed

Sorry for the delayed response. Some how I missed this post. If you marry your U.S. citizen girlfriend then you can adjust your status to that of a lawful permanent resident and should be able to obtain a work permit within about 90 days from filing the application for adjustment of status. This is something you could start preparing for now but you would not be able to file the actual petition until you and your girl friend were married. Hope this helps.

Other Immigration Resources

NewsLetter Sign-up

Subscribe to our immigration law newsletter today and receive important updates about U.S. immigration law and information about great new resources we offer.